Lewis Van Haney Philharmonic Prize Tenor Trombone Competition`
First Prize - TBA
General Rules and Requirements
- The 2016 ITA Competitions General Rules and Requirements must be strictly followed to avoid disqualification.
- Past winners of the Lewis Van Haney Philharmonic Prize Tenor Trombone Competition are not eligible in the 2016 Van Haney competition.
- The preliminary round list should be submitted as a single audio file, with all excerpts performed in the order listed.
- Preliminary round excerpts may be recorded separately, but there may be no editing within an individual excerpt.
Preliminary Round Repertoire
All items must be recorded in the order listed below
- Ferdinand David (ed. Mueller) -Concertino. Beginning to beat one of letter D. Record without accompaniment.
- Ravel-Bolero. Trombone 1 solo, Rehearsal #10 through downbeat of Rehearsal #11.
- Berlioz-Hungarian March from The Damnation of Faust. Trombone 2. 6 measures before Rehearsal #4 through 2nd measure of Rehearsal #5
- Mahler-Symphony No. 3, Trombone 1. Pickup to Rehearsal #33 through 2nd measure of Rehearsal #34
- Strauss-Also Sprach Zarathustra, Trombone 1. 7th measure after Rehearsal #50 through the downbeat of Rehearsal #51.
Final Round Repertoire
Excerpts to be selected from the Preliminary Round, in addition to the following:
- Strauss-Till Eulenspiegel, Trombone 1. Pickup to Rehearsal #36 through the 4th measure before Rehearsal #38
- Mahler-Symphony No. 3, Trombone 1. 3rd measure of Rehearsal #13 through downbeat at Rehearsal #17
|1993||Jon Etterbeek||Juilliard School of Music|
|1994||Darren McHenry||Juilliard School of Music|
|1995||Stephen Lange||Indiana University|
|1996||Norbert Lakzsko||Franz Liszt Academy of Music, Budapest, Hungary|
|1997||Mark Templeton||Guildhall School of Music, London, England|
|1998||Garnett Livingston||Juilliard School of Music|
|1999||Scott Parkinson||Juilliard School of Music|
|2000||Jeffrey A. Gray||Juilliard School of Music|
|2001||Darcio Gianelli||Juilliard School of Music|
|2002||Wes Citron||Manhattan School of Music|
|2003||Tenor - James Williams||Juilliard School of Music|
|Bass - no winner|
|2004||Tenor - Robert Kastner|
|Bass - Dan West||University of North Texas|
|2005||Tenor - Kyle Covington||Juilliard School of Music|
|Bass - Matyas Veer||Liszt Academy of Music-Budapest|
|2006||Tenor - Marques Young
||Juilliard School of Music|
|Bass - Zachary Bond
||Curtis Institute of Music graduate|
|2007||Tenor - Mark Davidson
||Juilliard School of Music|
|Bass - Ilan Morgenstern
||University of Michigan|
|2008||Tenor- Shachar Israel||Juilliard School of Music|
|2009||Tenor- Kyle Mullins||University of North Texas|
|2010||Tenor- Johanna Rubsam||Vienna, Austria|
|2011||Tenor- David Binder||Northwestern University|
|2012||Tenor- José Milton Vieira Leite Filho||Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil|
|2013||Tenor- Brian Santero||Curtis Institute of Music|
|2014||Tenor- Joseph Peterson||Northwestern University|
|2015||Tenor- Daniel Tellez Gutierrez||Hochschule fÃ¼r Musik und Theater Rostock|