For trombonists ages 25 and under (birth date of January 1, 1995 or later)
First Prize – TBA
- The 2021 ITA Competitions General Requirements must be strictly followed to avoid disqualification.
- Applicants must strictly follow the Recording Guidelines for the 2021 ITA Solo and Ensemble Competitions to avoid disqualification.
- The required repertoire should be submitted as a single audio file, with no editing within the submitted recording. All excerpts must be performed in the order listed. Accepted file formats include: MP3, OGG, M4A, WMA, WAV, AAC, FLAC, AIFF, AIF. Video entries are not accepted for this competition.
- Preliminary round excerpts may be recorded separately, but there may be no editing within an individual excerpt. All excerpts should be recorded at the same location with the same recording setup
- The submitted file must not contain any identifying information. The audio file should be named: “VanHaneyEntry.mp3” (.wav, etc.)
- Past winners of the Lewis Van Haney Philharmonic Prize are not eligible to enter the 2021 Van Haney competition.
- Co-Winners from the 2020 Lewis Van Haney Philharmonic Prize Orchestral Tenor Trombone Competition are eligible to enter if still meeting age and other requirements.
- Hector Berlioz – Hungarian March from La damnation de Faust. Trombone 2. 6 measures before Rehearsal #4 through 2nd measure of Rehearsal #5
- Hector Berlioz – Symphonie Fantastique, Trombone 1. Fourth movement (March to the Scaffold). Rehearsal 56 through downbeat six measures after rehearsal 57.
- Aaron Copland – Appalachian Spring (Orchestral Suite). Trombone 1. Rehearsal No.59 through the downbeat of Rehearsal No.64
- Rimsky-Korsakov – Russian Easter Overture, Trombone 2. Solo at rehearsal letter M through letter N.
- Richard Wagner – Ride of the Walküre from Die Walküre, Act III, Scene 1. Trombone 1. Pickup to rehearsal No.6 through the downbeat three measures after rehearsal No.7 (B major section.)
Excerpts to be chosen from Preliminary Round repertoire, and the following:
- Gordon Jacob – Trombone Concerto, movement 1. Beginning through 1st measure of Rehearsal D
- Johannes Brahms – Symphony No.4, movement 4. Trombone 1.
- Gustav Mahler – Symphony No.5, Movement 3 (Scherzo.) Trombone 1.
|1993||Jon Etterbeek||Juilliard School of Music|
|1994||Darren McHenry||Juilliard School of Music|
|1995||Stephen Lange||Indiana University|
|1996||Norbert Lakzsko||Franz Liszt Academy of Music, Budapest, Hungary|
|1997||Mark Templeton||Guildhall School of Music, London, England|
|1998||Garnett Livingston||Juilliard School of Music|
|1999||Scott Parkinson||Juilliard School of Music|
|2000||Jeffrey A. Gray||Juilliard School of Music|
|2001||Darcio Gianelli||Juilliard School of Music|
|2002||Wes Citron||Manhattan School of Music|
|2003||Tenor – James Williams||Juilliard School of Music|
|Bass – no winner|
|2004||Tenor – Robert Kastner|
|Bass – Dan West||University of North Texas|
|2005||Tenor – Kyle Covington||Juilliard School of Music|
|Bass – Matyas Veer||Liszt Academy of Music-Budapest|
|2006||Tenor – Marques Young||Juilliard School of Music|
|Bass – Zachary Bond||Curtis Institute of Music graduate|
|2007||Tenor – Mark Davidson||Juilliard School of Music|
|Bass – Ilan Morgenstern||University of Michigan|
|2008||Tenor- Shachar Israel||Juilliard School of Music|
|2009||Tenor- Kyle Mullins||University of North Texas|
|2010||Tenor- Johanna Rubsam||Vienna, Austria|
|2011||Tenor- David Binder||Northwestern University|
|2012||Tenor- José Milton Vieira Leite Filho||Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil|
|2013||Tenor- Brian Santero||Curtis Institute of Music|
|2014||Tenor- Joseph Peterson||Northwestern University|
|2015||Tenor- Daniel Tellez Gutierrez||Hochschule für Musik und Theater Rostock|
|2016||Tenor- Paul Radke||Shepherd School of Music, Rice University|
|2017||Tenor- Joseph Dubas||Civic Orchestra of Chicago|
|2018||Tenor- Harry Gonzalez||Shepherd School of Music, Rice University|
|2019||Tenor- Evan Williams||University of Texas at Austin|
|2020 Co-Winner||Tenor- Nathaniel Hsu||University of Texas at Austin|
|2020 Co-Winner||Tenor- Timothy Maines||Northwestern University|
|2020 Co-Winner||Tenor- Jonathan McNeer||Northwestern University|