For trombonists ages 25 and under (birth date of January 1, 1994 or later)
First Prize – TBA
- The 2020 ITA Competitions General Requirements must be strictly followed to avoid disqualification.
- Applicants must strictly follow the Recording Guidelines for the 2020 ITA Solo and Ensemble Competitions to avoid disqualification.
- The required repertoire should be submitted as a single audio file, with no editing within the submitted recording. All excerpts must be performed in the order listed. Accepted file formats include: MP3, OGG, M4A, WMA, WAV, AAC, FLAC, AIFF, AIF. Video entries are not accepted for this competition.
- Preliminary round excerpts may be recorded separately, but there may be no editing within an individual excerpt. All excerpts should be recorded at the same location with the same recording setup.
- The submitted file must not contain any identifying information. The audio file should be named: “VanHaneyEntry.mp3” (.wav, etc.)
- Past winners of the Lewis Van Haney Philharmonic Prize are not eligible to enter the 2020 Van Haney competition.
- Johannes Brahms – Symphony No.2. Trombone 1. Fourth movement, Letter O to end.
- Paul Hindemith – Symphonic Metamorphosis, Turandot. Trombone 1. Letter H to letter J
- Gustav Mahler – Symphony No.3. Trombone 1. Pickup to Rehearsal 33 through 2 measures after Rehearsal 34 AND 1 measure before 58 to 6 measures before 62
- Jean Sibelius – Symphony No.7, Movement 1. Trombone 1. 7 measures after Rehearsal C to Rehearsal D
- Richard Strauss – Till Eulenspiegel. Trombone 1. Four measures before Rehearsal 36 to four measures before Rehearsal 38
Excerpts to be chosen from Preliminary Round repertoire, and the following:
- Gordon Jacob – Trombone Concerto, movement 1. Beginning through 1st measure of Rehearsal D
- Gustav Mahler – Symphony No.5, Scherzo. Trombone 1. 13thmeasure of Rehearsal 15 through Rehearsal 17.
- Gioachino Rossini – La Gazza Ladra. Two excerpts. Rehearsal C to 24 bars after C. Rehearsal F to 17 bars after F.
|1993||Jon Etterbeek||Juilliard School of Music|
|1994||Darren McHenry||Juilliard School of Music|
|1995||Stephen Lange||Indiana University|
|1996||Norbert Lakzsko||Franz Liszt Academy of Music, Budapest, Hungary|
|1997||Mark Templeton||Guildhall School of Music, London, England|
|1998||Garnett Livingston||Juilliard School of Music|
|1999||Scott Parkinson||Juilliard School of Music|
|2000||Jeffrey A. Gray||Juilliard School of Music|
|2001||Darcio Gianelli||Juilliard School of Music|
|2002||Wes Citron||Manhattan School of Music|
|2003||Tenor – James Williams||Juilliard School of Music|
|Bass – no winner|
|2004||Tenor – Robert Kastner|
|Bass – Dan West||University of North Texas|
|2005||Tenor – Kyle Covington||Juilliard School of Music|
|Bass – Matyas Veer||Liszt Academy of Music-Budapest|
|2006||Tenor – Marques Young||Juilliard School of Music|
|Bass – Zachary Bond||Curtis Institute of Music graduate|
|2007||Tenor – Mark Davidson||Juilliard School of Music|
|Bass – Ilan Morgenstern||University of Michigan|
|2008||Tenor- Shachar Israel||Juilliard School of Music|
|2009||Tenor- Kyle Mullins||University of North Texas|
|2010||Tenor- Johanna Rubsam||Vienna, Austria|
|2011||Tenor- David Binder||Northwestern University|
|2012||Tenor- José Milton Vieira Leite Filho||Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil|
|2013||Tenor- Brian Santero||Curtis Institute of Music|
|2014||Tenor- Joseph Peterson||Northwestern University|
|2015||Tenor- Daniel Tellez Gutierrez||Hochschule für Musik und Theater Rostock|
|2016||Tenor- Paul Radke||Shepherd School of Music, Rice University|
|2017||Tenor- Joseph Dubas||Civic Orchestra of Chicago|
|2018||Tenor- Harry Gonzalez||Shepherd School of Music, Rice University|
|2019||Tenor- Evan Williams||University of Texas at Austin|