For trombonists ages 25 and under (birth date of January 1, 1992 or later)
First Prize – Yamaha alto trombone
- The 2018 ITA Competitions General Requirements must be strictly followed to avoid disqualification.
- Applicants must strictly follow the Recording Guidelines for the 2018 ITA Solo and Ensemble Competitions to avoid disqualification.
- The required repertoire should be submitted as a single audio file, with no editing within the submitted recording. All excerpts must be performed in the order listed. Accepted file formats include: MP3, OGG, M4A, WMA, WAV, AAC, FLAC, AIFF, AIF. Video entries are not accepted for this competition.
- Preliminary round excerpts may be recorded separately, but there may be no editing within an individual excerpt. All excerpts should be recorded at the same location with the same recording setup
- The submitted file must not contain any identifying information. The audio file should be named: “VanHaneyEntry.mp3” (.wav, etc.)
- Past winners of the Lewis Van Haney Philharmonic Prize are not eligible to enter the 2018 Yaxley competition.
Preliminary Round Repertoire
All items must be recorded in the order listed below
- Mozart – Requiem. Tuba Mirum, Tenor Trombone. Measures 1 through downbeat of measure 18.
- Berlioz-Hungarian March from The Damnation of Faust. Trombone 2. 6 measures before Rehearsal #4 through 2nd measure of Rehearsal #5
- Rossini – William Tell Overture, Trombone 2. Rehearsal C through downbeat of the 9th bar after letter D.
- Strauss-Till Eulenspiegel, Trombone 2. 3 measures before Rehearsal #37 through the 4th measure before Rehearsal #38
- Wagner – Tannhauser Overture, Trombone 2. 1 measure before Rehearsal M through 21 measures after Rehearsal O.
Final Round Repertoire
Excerpts to be selected from the Preliminary Round in addition to the following:
- Bartok – The Miraculous Mandarin, Trombone 2. Rehearsal #71 through the 1st measure of Rehearsal #74.
- Rimsky-Korsakov – Russian Easter Overture, Trombone 2 solo at rehearsal letter M through letter N.
- Strauss – Ein Heldenleben, Trombone 2. 3rd measure of Rehearsal #60 through the downbeat of Rehearsal #74
- Wagner – Ride of the Valkyries, Trombone 2. B-major section: pickup to rehearsal 6 through the downbeat three measures after rehearsal 7.
|1993||Jon Etterbeek||Juilliard School of Music|
|1994||Darren McHenry||Juilliard School of Music|
|1995||Stephen Lange||Indiana University|
|1996||Norbert Lakzsko||Franz Liszt Academy of Music, Budapest, Hungary|
|1997||Mark Templeton||Guildhall School of Music, London, England|
|1998||Garnett Livingston||Juilliard School of Music|
|1999||Scott Parkinson||Juilliard School of Music|
|2000||Jeffrey A. Gray||Juilliard School of Music|
|2001||Darcio Gianelli||Juilliard School of Music|
|2002||Wes Citron||Manhattan School of Music|
|2003||Tenor – James Williams||Juilliard School of Music|
|Bass – no winner|
|2004||Tenor – Robert Kastner|
|Bass – Dan West||University of North Texas|
|2005||Tenor – Kyle Covington||Juilliard School of Music|
|Bass – Matyas Veer||Liszt Academy of Music-Budapest|
|2006||Tenor – Marques Young||Juilliard School of Music|
|Bass – Zachary Bond||Curtis Institute of Music graduate|
|2007||Tenor – Mark Davidson||Juilliard School of Music|
|Bass – Ilan Morgenstern||University of Michigan|
|2008||Tenor- Shachar Israel||Juilliard School of Music|
|2009||Tenor- Kyle Mullins||University of North Texas|
|2010||Tenor- Johanna Rubsam||Vienna, Austria|
|2011||Tenor- David Binder||Northwestern University|
|2012||Tenor- José Milton Vieira Leite Filho||Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil|
|2013||Tenor- Brian Santero||Curtis Institute of Music|
|2014||Tenor- Joseph Peterson||Northwestern University|
|2015||Tenor- Daniel Tellez Gutierrez||Hochschule für Musik und Theater Rostock|
|2016||Tenor- Paul Radke||Shepherd School of Music, Rice University|
|2017||Tenor- Joseph Dubas||Civic Orchestra of Chicago|