In Celebration of its 50th anniversary, The International Trombone Association is leading a consortium for a new commission by Kevin Day, to be premiered by the Lift Every Voice Trombone Choir at ITF this summer. We welcome you to be a part of this consortium!
Kevin Day is an emerging composer with a popular list of compositions for brass. His low brass composition, Ignition, was premiered by the Boston Symphony Orchestra Low Brass Section in 2020, and his trombone solos, Aurora and Sonata in One Movement, were premiered recently by Jeremy Wilson. He also has works for euphonium solo, brass quintet, and numerous other ensembles. For more information on Kevin Day, see his webpage https://www.kevindaymusic.com/.
The Lift Every Voice Trombone Choir is a feature ensemble of outstanding African-American trombonists, covering a wide range of ages and stylistic disciplines. This ensemble celebrates the contributions of African-Americans to the trombone and showcases the world class talent within this community of trombonists, with the purpose of inspiring the next generation.
Consortium Details and Timeline:
• An original 8-part trombone choir composition of minimum 8 minutes in length. Instrumentation of the work shall be 6 tenors, 2 basses, with possible alto trombone part. The work will be a challenging piece that incorporates jazz elements and of a style that can serve as a concert finale.
• Fee: Composer will receive a maximum of $6000 for the composition.
– Commissioners will pay $150 each.
– There are a total of 20 Commissioner spots available.
– Commissioners will receive digital downloads of parts and score.
– The International Trombone Association will serve as the lead for this consortium. All commissioners and
their affiliated institutions will be included in the score.
– The right to the premiere will be exclusively reserved for the Lift Every Voice Trombone Choir at ITF in July.
Consortium members will be given exclusive rights to perform the work between the premiere and July 15,
2023, when the composition will be available to the general public.
– March 5, 2022: Confirmation of Interest in participating in the Consortium sent via email to
diversity [at] trombone [dot] net. Consortium Contracts will then be sent via email.
– March 15, 2022: Signed Contract and Payment of $150 Due.
– July 15, 2022: Digital downloads of Score & Parts will be sent to all Commissioners
For questions, please contact us at diversity [at] trombone [dot] net