Announcing the ITA Trombone Composition Contest 2024!
We invite talented composers to showcase their trombone writing skills in this unique contest. Composers are invited to submit an original trombone octet of 5-7 minutes in length.
The winning composition will be announced in April 2024 during International Trombone Week (ITW). Its sheet music will be available to download from the ITA site at no cost for ensembles that wish to perform it during ITW 2024. Trombone ensembles are encouraged to record and share their performances of the winning composition in celebration of International Trombone Week 2024.
The winning composer will receive a:
- professional recording of their composition
- complimentary pass to the 2024 International Trombone Festival
- 5-year Regular membership to the International Trombone Association
- performances of their work during International Trombone Week
- $100 gift certificate to ITA’s merchandise shop
Submissions need to meet the following requirements in order to be eligible for consideration:
- The piece must be scored for 8 trombones (6 Tenor and 2 Bass Trombones).
- The composition must be an original work.
- The composition must be between 5-7 minutes in length.
- Submission must be clearly formatted (with a score and individual parts included) in a single PDF file. Exact tempo and style indications must be included. The composer’s name must be written in the score. No handwritten scores will be accepted.
- You may submit up to two compositions for consideration.
- Each submission must include one PDF score (individual parts included; max 15MB) and one MIDI recording (WAV or mp3; max 30MB).
In pursuit of diversity, we especially invite individuals from under-represented groups to apply.
Deadline: Submissions must be received by January 31, 2024 (9 PM US Eastern Time).
Judging: will begin in February 2024. The winner will be announced by April 2024. The judges’ decision is final.
The winner of this contest agrees to extend their permission to ITA to publish the piece at no cost through December 2024. In addition, any trombone ensemble may record or perform the work without any compensation going to the composer through that time.
Please note: This is a separate contest from the ITF Composers Workshop; composers are encouraged to enter both contests if they wish.
Questions? Contact us at compositioncontest AT trombone DOT net