For trombonists ages 22 and under (birth date of January 1, 1996 or later)
First Prize – TBA
- The 2019 ITA Competitions General Requirements must be strictly followed to avoid disqualification.
- Applicants must strictly follow the Recording Guidelines for the 2019 ITA Solo and Ensemble Competitions.
- Required repertoire should be uploaded as three separate video files. The video must be shot from a single, uninterrupted camera angle. Accepted file formats include: MP4, MPEG, MPG, MOV, AVI, WMV, M4V, FLV, WEBM, M2V
- No written signs, nametags or other written material is to be visible in the video.
- All performers should be continuously visible in the submitted video, with the trombonist as the focal point.
- No edits of either the audio or video may be made within each track.
- The submitted files must not contain any identifying information. The video file should be named: “FontanaTrack1.mp4” and “FontanaTrack2.mp4” (.mov, etc.)
- An audible count-off is allowed for this competition, but any other spoken dialogue will violate the spoken dialogue rule and are grounds for disqualification. Caution members of the ensemble to avoid talking until the take has been completed. A good rule of thumb would be to hold silence for 5 seconds after any take, allowing for a clean submission.
- Recordings must be made with a live rhythm section (minimum 2 members) in the key of the entrant’s choice.
- Choruses must be improvised and not read.
- Entrants must perform exclusively on the slide trombone (e.g. no valve trombone, bass trumpet, etc.)
- It is the performer’s choice to play one or two choruses of the melody on each selection. The maximum number of choruses, including the melody, must not be exceeded.
- Recordings taken from a Jazz band performance are not allowed.
- Past winners of the Carl Fontana Jazz Trombone Competition are not eligible in the 2019 Fontana competition.
Preliminary Round Repertoire:
- Six to eight (6-8) choruses of a Blues (including the melody.)
- Three to four (3-4) choruses of one of the following tunes: Beautiful Friendship, Emily, If I only had a Brain, Polka Dots and Moonbeams, It Might as Well be Spring, or I Thought About You.
Final Round Repertoire:
- Medium- or Up-tempo tune from the list above
- Ballad of the applicant’s choice
*It is the performer’s choice to play one or two choruses of the melody on each selection. For the preliminary round, the maximum number of choruses, including the melody, must not be exceeded.
**Finalists will be required to present their final round program within a time limit and may deviate from the prescribed number of choruses required in the preliminary round recording.
|2007||Joe McDonough||Temple University|
|2008||Robbie Harvey||Guildhall School of Music|
|2009||Eric Bowman||Western Michigan University|
|2010||Eric Miller||Manhattan School of Music|
|2011||Javier Nero||Juilliard School of Music|
|2012||Ido Meshulam||Berklee College of Music|
|2013||Kyle Johnson||Texas State University|
|2014||Nicholas Lombardelli||The University of the Arts|
|2015||Matt Hettwer||California State University|
|2016||Jack Courtright||Eastman School of Music|
|2017||Thomas Voss||Elder Conservatorium, University of Adelaide|
|2018||David Kapral||The University of Texas at Austin|