First Prize – TBA
- The 2017 ITA Competitions General Requirements must be strictly followed to avoid disqualification.
- Applicants must strictly follow the Recording Guidelines for the 2017 ITA Solo and Ensemble Competitions.
- Required repertoire should be uploaded as two separate audio files. No edits may be made within a single track. Accepted file formats include: MP3, OGG, M4A, WMA, WAV, AAC, FLAC, AIFF, AIF. Video submissions are not accepted for this competition.
- The submitted files must not contain any identifying information. The audio files should be named: “FontanaBlues.mp3” and “FontanaStandard.mp3 (.wav, etc.)
- Any audible count-offs will violate the spoken dialogue rule and are grounds for disqualification. Caution members of the ensemble to avoid talking until the take has been completed. A good rule of thumb would be to hold silence for 5 seconds after any take, allowing for a clean submission.
- Recordings must be made with a live rhythm section (minimum 2 members) in the key of your choice.
- Choruses must be improvised and not read.
- Entrants must perform exclusively on the slide trombone (e.g. no valve trombone, bass trumpet, etc.)
- It is the performer’s choice to play one or two choruses of the melody on each selection. The maximum number of choruses, including the melody, must not be exceeded.
- Recordings taken from a Jazz Band performance are not allowed.
- Past winners of the Carl Fontana Jazz Trombone Competition are not eligible in the 2017 Fontana competition.
Preliminary Round Repertoire Requirements
- Six to eight (6-8) choruses of a Blues (including the melody.)
- Three to four (3-4) choruses of one of the following tunes: Beautiful Friendship, Emily, If I only had a Brain, Polka Dots and Moonbeams, It Might as Well be Spring, or I Thought About You.
*It is the performer’s choice to play one or two choruses of the melody on each selection. The maximum number of choruses, including the melody, must not be exceeded.
Final Round Repertoire Requirements
- Medium- or Up-tempo tune from the list above
- Ballad of the applicant’s choice
*Finalists will be required to present their final round program within a time limit and may deviate from the prescribed number of choruses required in the preliminary round recording.
|2007||Joe McDonough||Temple University|
|2008||Robbie Harvey||Guildhall School of Music|
|2009||Eric Bowman||Western Michigan University|
|2010||Eric Miller||Manhattan School of Music|
|2011||Javier Nero||Juilliard School of Music|
|2012||Ido Meshulam||Berklee College of Music|
|2013||Kyle Johnson||Texas State University|
|2014||Nicholas Lombardelli||The University of the Arts|
|2015||Matt Hettwer||California State University|
|2016||Jack Courtright||Eastman School of Music|