What is a Chapter?
As trombonists, we like to meet with colleagues and friends who share our own passion for the trombone. ITA beleives that the formation of localized groups will give trombonists a way to get together in order to develop their skills and discuss ideas. It is the association’s hope that through the establishment of chapters, an opportunity for trombone camaraderie might be provided to area players and students so that they can promote, nuture and celebrate the trombone and its music to the local community and eachother.
As an official chapter of ITA, you are able to access resources and funding to help promote activities in your area. Each Chapter sets its own level of membership dues. Members of the Chapter must also be members in good-standing of ITA. Generally 8 members is the minimum required to form a Chapter but all applications will be considered.
How do I form a Chapter?
1. Meet with other trombonists in your area to determine the level of interest, the number of potential members, and the scope and direction of your chapter (school, college, community, region, etc.).
2. Secure the services of a contact person or advisor who is an active member of ITA. In school or college situations, a faculty member is suggested, but any ITA member can function in this capacity.
3. Find a time for all to meet to discuss the need and desirability for an affiliate chapter. Encourage all to join the ITA, since this is a pre-requisite to membership in your local chapter. Discuss the possible types of activities in which your chapter may wish to engage.
4. Send the ITA Local Chapter Application Form to:
Brian S. Brink
ITA Local Chapters Coordinator
Department of Music
Florida Southern College
111 Lake Hollingsworth Dr.
Lakeland, FL 33809
5. Upon receipt of the chapter certification the members should meet again to adopt a constitution and by-laws, elect officers, and develop the program of activities for the chapter. A copy of the by-laws as well as an annual report should be sent to the Local Chapters Coordinator.
Existing ITA Chapters
- Florida State University (Tallahassee, FL)
- Austin Trombone Association (Austin, TX)
- Greater Princeton Trombonists Chapter
- Central Florida Trombone Society
- Indiana University (Bloomington, IN)
- Show-Me Bones (Columbia, MI)
- Bones West (Santa Ana, CA)
- Mason Gross School of the Arts (New Brunswick, NJ)
- University of Louisiana (Monroe, LA)
- Western Michigan University (Kalamazoo, MI)
- James Madison University (Harrisonburg, VA)
- University of Kentucky (Lexington, KY)