First Prize – $2000 cash prize donated by Getzen
- The 2017 ITA Competitions General Requirements must be strictly followed to avoid disqualification.
- Applicants must strictly follow the Recording Guidelines for the 2017 ITA Solo and Ensemble Competitions to avoid disqualification.
- The required repertoire should be submitted as a single audio file. All excerpts must be performed in the order listed. Accepted file formats include: MP3, OGG, M4A, WMA, WAV, AAC, FLAC, AIFF, AIF. Video entries are not accepted for this competition.
- Preliminary round excerpts may be recorded separately, but there may be no editing within an individual excerpt. All movements should be recorded at the same location with the same recording setup.
- The submitted file must not contain any identifying information. The audio file should be named: “KleinhammerEntry.mp3” (.wav, etc.)
- Past winners of the Edward Kleinhammer Orchestral Bass Trombone Competition are not eligible in the 2017 Kleinhammer competition.
Preliminary Round Repertoire
All items must be recorded in the order listed below
- J.S. Bach – Suite for Unaccompanied Cello No. 1, Minuet No. 2 with repeats.
- Beethoven – Symphony No.9. Trombone basso. Movement 4. Andante maestoso 17 measures before rehearsal N through 16 measures after rehearsal N.
- Richard Strauss: Ein Heldenleben. Trombone 3. Rehearsal 55 through two measures before rehearsal 59. AND rehearsal 61 through the first measure of rehearsal 65. *Note: 55-59 may be recorded in a separate take from 61-65. No editing is permitted during either section.
- Berlioz – Hungarian March. Trombone 3. 6 measures before rehearsal 4 through 2 measures after rehearsal 5.
- Respighi – Pines of Rome (Catacombs). Bass Trombone. 7 measures before rehearsal 11 through 1st measure of rehearsal 12.
- Haydn – Creation. (No. 26). Bass Trombone. Start at the beginning, stop at letter A. *Note: the final round may require the entire movement at the discretion of the judges. For the recorded round, be sure to stop after the last note on beat three in the measure before rehearsal A.
Final Round Repertoire
Excerpts to be selected from the Preliminary Round in addition to the following:
- Wagner – Ride of the Valkyries. Trombone 3. B-major section: pickup to rehearsal 6 through the downbeat of three measures after rehearsal 7.
- Haydn – Creation, No. 26. Bass Trombone. Entire movement.
- Franck – Symphony in D-minor, Trombone 3, Movement 1, Letter N to Letter O. AND Movement 3, Letter N to 16 measures before Letter O.
- Respighi – Fountains of Rome. Trombone 3. Prepare from the pickup to rehearsal 11 through 6 measures before rehearsal 17.
- Richard Strauss – Till Eulenspiegel. Trombone 3. Prepare from the 3rd measure of rehearsal 18 through the downbeat 6 measures before rehearsal 20, AND from rehearsal 36 through the downbeat 4 measures before rehearsal 38.
|1993||Jon Etterbeek||Juilliard School of Music|
|1994||Darren McHenry||Juilliard School of Music|
|1995||Stephen Lange||Indiana University|
|1996||Norbert Lakzsko||Franz Liszt Academy of Music, Budapest, Hungary|
|1997||Mark Templeton||Guildhall School of Music, London, England|
|1998||Garnett Livingston||Juilliard School of Music|
|1999||Scott Parkinson||Juilliard School of Music|
|2000||Jeffrey A. Gray||Juilliard School of Music|
|2001||Darcio Gianelli||Juilliard School of Music|
|2002||Wes Citron||Manhattan School of Music|
|2003||Tenor – James Williams||Juilliard School of Music|
|Bass – no winner|
|2004||Tenor – Robert Kastner|
|Bass – Dan West||University of North Texas|
|2005||Tenor – Kyle Covington||Juilliard School of Music|
|Bass – Matyas Veer||Liszt Academy of Music-Budapest|
|2006||Tenor – Marques Young||Juilliard School of Music|
|Bass – Zachary Bond||Curtis Institute of Music graduate|
|2007||Tenor – Mark Davidson||Juilliard School of Music|
|Bass – Ilan Morgenstern||University of Michigan|
|2008||Tenor- Shachar Israel||Juilliard School of Music.|
|2008||Daniel Brady||Southern Methodist University|
|2009||Christian Poitinger||Universität für Musik, Vienna, Austria|
|2010||Jeremy Stones||University of North Texas|
|2011||Raymond Flores||Conservatorio de Musica de Puerto Rico|
|2012||Nuno Henriques||Koninklijk Conservatorium, Den Haag, The Netherlands|
|2013||Scott P. Hartman||DePaul University|
|2014||Gabriel Roberson||Northwestern University|
|2015||Scott Nguyen||Northwestern University|
|2016||Cameron Owen||University of Alabama|