For trombonists ages 25 and under (birth date of January 1, 1996 or later)
- The 2022 ITA Competitions General Requirements must be strictly followed to avoid disqualification.
- Applicants must strictly follow the Recording Guidelines for the 2022 ITA Solo and Ensemble Competitions.
- The required repertoire should be submitted as a single audio file, with no editing within the submitted recording. All excerpts must be performed in the order listed. Accepted file formats include: MP3, OGG, M4A, WMA, WAV, AAC, FLAC, AIFF, AIF. Video entries are not accepted for this competition.
- Preliminary round excerpts may be recorded separately, but there may be no editing within an individual excerpt. All selections should be recorded at the same location with the same recording setup.
- The submitted file must not contain any identifying information. The audio file should be named: “KleinhammerEntry.mp3” (.wav, etc.)
- Past winners of the Edward Kleinhammer Orchestral Bass Trombone Competition are not eligible to enter the 2022 Kleinhammer competition.
- Co-Winners from the 2020 Edward Kleinhammer Orchestral Bass Trombone Competition are eligible to enter if still meeting age and other requirements
All excerpts must be recorded in the order listed below:
- Modest Mussorgsky/Maurice Ravel – Tableaux d’une Exposition, “Promenade.” Trombone 3. Beginning until Rehearsal 2 AND 1 measure before Rehearsal 5 to the end
- Gioachino Rossini – Overture to William Tell. Bass Trombone, Rehearsal C through downbeat of the 9th measure after letter D
- Richard Strauss – Tod und Verklärung. Trombone 3. Double bar after Rehearsal W (Allegro molto agitato) through the sixth measure of Rehearsal X.
- Johannes Brahms – Symphony No.4, movement 4. Trombone 3. Rehearsal E through the 9th measure before Rehearsal F
- Anton Bruckner – Symphony No.7, fourth movement. Trombone 3. Rehearsal P through Rehearsal S
- Richard Wagner – Overture to Tannhäuser. Trombone 3. Rehearsal A through the 17th measure of Rehearsal A.
Excerpts to be selected from the Preliminary Round in addition to the following:
- Berlioz – “Hungarian March” from The Damnation of Faust. Trombone 3. 6 measures before Rehearsal 4 through 2 measures after Rehearsal 5
- Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky – Symphony No.5, Second Movement. Trombone 3. Rehearsal I through Tempo I after Allegro non troppo
|1993||Jon Etterbeek||Juilliard School of Music|
|1994||Darren McHenry||Juilliard School of Music|
|1995||Stephen Lange||Indiana University|
|1996||Norbert Lakzsko||Franz Liszt Academy of Music, Budapest, Hungary|
|1997||Mark Templeton||Guildhall School of Music, London, England|
|1998||Garnett Livingston||Juilliard School of Music|
|1999||Scott Parkinson||Juilliard School of Music|
|2000||Jeffrey A. Gray||Juilliard School of Music|
|2001||Darcio Gianelli||Juilliard School of Music|
|2002||Wes Citron||Manhattan School of Music|
|2003||Tenor – James Williams||Juilliard School of Music|
|Bass – no winner|
|2004||Tenor – Robert Kastner|
|Bass – Dan West||University of North Texas|
|2005||Tenor – Kyle Covington||Juilliard School of Music|
|Bass – Matyas Veer||Liszt Academy of Music-Budapest|
|2006||Tenor – Marques Young||Juilliard School of Music|
|Bass – Zachary Bond||Curtis Institute of Music graduate|
|2007||Tenor – Mark Davidson||Juilliard School of Music|
|Bass – Ilan Morgenstern||University of Michigan|
|2008||Tenor- Shachar Israel||Juilliard School of Music.|
|2008||Daniel Brady||Southern Methodist University|
|2009||Christian Poitinger||Universität für Musik, Vienna, Austria|
|2010||Jeremy Stones||University of North Texas|
|2011||Raymond Flores||Conservatorio de Musica de Puerto Rico|
|2012||Nuno Henriques||Koninklijk Conservatorium, Den Haag, The Netherlands|
|2013||Scott P. Hartman||DePaul University|
|2014||Gabriel Roberson||Northwestern University|
|2015||Scott Nguyen||Northwestern University|
|2016||Cameron Owen||University of Alabama|
|2017||Christopher Bassett||New England Conservatory|
|2018||Eden Garza||Texas A&M University-Kingsville|
|2019||Adrian Gryciuk||Conservatorium van Amsterdam|
|2020 Co-Winner||Brian Entwistle||DePaul University|
|2020 Co-Winner||Alexander Mullins||University of North Texas|
|2020 Co-Winner||Dávid Sztranyák||Liszt Academy of Music-Budapest|
|2021||Zachary Neikens||The Juilliard School|