For trombonists ages 25 and under (birth date of January 1, 1994 or later)
- The 2020 ITA Competitions General Requirements must be strictly followed to avoid disqualification.
- Applicants must strictly follow the Recording Guidelines for the 2020 ITA Solo and Ensemble Competitions.
- The required repertoire should be submitted as a single audio file, with no editing within the submitted recording. All excerpts must be performed in the order listed. Accepted file formats include: MP3, OGG, M4A, WMA, WAV, AAC, FLAC, AIFF, AIF. Video entries are not accepted for this competition.
- Preliminary round excerpts may be recorded separately, but there may be no editing within an individual excerpt. All selections should be recorded at the same location with the same recording setup.
- The submitted file must not contain any identifying information. The audio file should be named: “KleinhammerEntry.mp3” (.wav, etc.)
- Past winners of the Edward Kleinhammer Orchestral Bass Trombone Competition are not eligible to enter the 2020 Kleinhammer competition.
All items must be recorded in the order listed below:
- Léo Delibes – Coppelia. Bass Trombone. No.3-Mazurka. Rehearsal No.15 through 16 measures after Rehearsal No.16 (measures 581-618).
- Johannes Brahms – Symphony No. 1, movement 4, Trombone III. Rehearsal C through 15 measures after Rehearsal C
- Carl Nielsen – Flute Concerto, movement 1. Bass Trombone. Measure 81 to measure 96.
- Richard Strauss – Till Eulenspiegel. Trombone 3. Rehearsal 36 to four measures before Rehearsal 38
- Richard Wagner – Das Rheingold, Scene 4, Entry of the Gods into Valhalla (final 15 measures of the opera). Trombone 4 [NOTE: For this competition, play this excerpt on a bass, rather than a contrabass, trombone.]
Excerpts to be selected from the Preliminary Round in addition to the following:
- S. Bach – Boureé from Suite for Violoncello No.3
- A. Mozart – Requiem, Kyrie. Trombone 3. 2 before I to 3 after N.
- Dmitri Shostakovich – Symphony No.5, Movement 4. Trombone 3. Rehearsal No. 97 through the downbeat of Rehearsal No. 98. Four before Rehearsal No. 111 to eleven after 111
|1993||Jon Etterbeek||Juilliard School of Music|
|1994||Darren McHenry||Juilliard School of Music|
|1995||Stephen Lange||Indiana University|
|1996||Norbert Lakzsko||Franz Liszt Academy of Music, Budapest, Hungary|
|1997||Mark Templeton||Guildhall School of Music, London, England|
|1998||Garnett Livingston||Juilliard School of Music|
|1999||Scott Parkinson||Juilliard School of Music|
|2000||Jeffrey A. Gray||Juilliard School of Music|
|2001||Darcio Gianelli||Juilliard School of Music|
|2002||Wes Citron||Manhattan School of Music|
|2003||Tenor – James Williams||Juilliard School of Music|
|Bass – no winner|
|2004||Tenor – Robert Kastner|
|Bass – Dan West||University of North Texas|
|2005||Tenor – Kyle Covington||Juilliard School of Music|
|Bass – Matyas Veer||Liszt Academy of Music-Budapest|
|2006||Tenor – Marques Young||Juilliard School of Music|
|Bass – Zachary Bond||Curtis Institute of Music graduate|
|2007||Tenor – Mark Davidson||Juilliard School of Music|
|Bass – Ilan Morgenstern||University of Michigan|
|2008||Tenor- Shachar Israel||Juilliard School of Music.|
|2008||Daniel Brady||Southern Methodist University|
|2009||Christian Poitinger||Universität für Musik, Vienna, Austria|
|2010||Jeremy Stones||University of North Texas|
|2011||Raymond Flores||Conservatorio de Musica de Puerto Rico|
|2012||Nuno Henriques||Koninklijk Conservatorium, Den Haag, The Netherlands|
|2013||Scott P. Hartman||DePaul University|
|2014||Gabriel Roberson||Northwestern University|
|2015||Scott Nguyen||Northwestern University|
|2016||Cameron Owen||University of Alabama|
|2017||Christopher Bassett||New England Conservatory|
|2018||Eden Garza||Texas A&M University-Kingsville|
|2019||Adrian Gryciuk||Conservatorium van Amsterdam|