sponsored by Butler Carbon Fiber Trombones
For trombonists ages 23 and under (birth date of January 1, 1999 or later)
First Prize – Butler Carbon Fiber Slide and more
Tony Baker, University of North Texas College of Music, invites trombonists to join this competition:
- The 2023 ITA Competitions General Requirements must be strictly followed to avoid disqualification.
- Applicants must strictly follow the Recording Guidelines for the 2023 ITA Solo and Ensemble Competitions.
- The Larry Wiehe Tenor Trombone Competition serves to preserve a unique tradition of trombone playing from the United States around the turn of the 20th century. This tradition was made famous by Arthur Pryor, and it has been carried on by later trombonists, such as Larry Wiehe. Applicants are encouraged to research historical recordings by great masters of this style, such as Arthur Pryor, Larry Wiehe, Robert Isele, and Jim Erdman, in preparing audition recordings. Judges are encouraged to give preference to those applicants who present well-executed performances while interpreting the music in an historically informed manner.
- Live piano accompaniment is required. While live, in-person collaboration is still preferred, a pre-recorded piano accompaniment will be allowed for the 2023 competitions cycle in the event that restrictions due to the COVID-19 pandemic do not make a live performance possible.
- Any repeats should be performed as printed.
- The required repertoire should be submitted as a single video file, recorded from a single, uninterrupted camera angle. Accepted file formats include: MP4, MPEG, MPG, MOV, AVI, WMV, M4V, FLV, WEBM, M2V
- No editing of either video or audio is allowed.
- No written signs, name tags or other written material is to be visible in the video.
- Both performers should be clearly visible in the video throughout the performance, with the trombonist as the focal point. In the event both performers do fit in the frame, due to social distancing or use of pre-recorded piano accompaniment, the trombonist must still be completely visible throughout the performance.
- The submitted file must not contain any identifying information. The video file should be named: “WieheEntry.mov” (.mp4, etc.)
- Past winners of the Larry Wiehe Tenor Trombone Competition are not eligible to enter the 2023 Wiehe competition.
- Co-Winners from the 2020 Larry Wiehe Tenor Trombone Competition are eligible to enter if still meeting age and other requirements.
Arthur Pryor – La Petite Suzanne (Carl Fischer)
Arthur Pryor – Love’s Enchantment (Carl Fischer)
|1996||Rebecca Howenstine||Eastman School of Music|
|1997||Mark Templeton||Guildhall School of Music, London, England|
|1998||Peter Swann||University of Southern Mississippi|
|1999||David Sisk||Youngstown State University|
|2000||Andrew Poirier||University of British Columbia|
|2001||Jonathan Lombardo||Juilliard School of Music|
|2002||Ellen Marple||University of North Texas|
|2003||Achilleas Liarmakopoulous||Rio Mesa High School, Camarillo, CA|
|2004||Jordan Witt||Cincinnati Conservatory of Music|
|2005||Jason Robins||Yale University|
|2006||Andrew Connington||Royal Academy of Music|
|2007||Andrew Shelton||Mars Hill College (NC)|
|2008||Adam Hanna||Southeast Oklahoma State University|
|2009||Jason Cash||Oklahoma State University|
|2010||Hana Beloglavec||Western Michigan University|
|2011||Brian Santero||Curtis Institute of Music|
|2012||John Romero||Baylor University|
|2013||Jonathan Houghtling||DePaul University|
|2014||Nick Dewyer||Western Michigan University|
|2015||Lyman McBride||Brigham Young University|
|2016||Marco Rodrigues||ARTAVE (Portugal)|
|2017||Nicholas Halbig||Baylor University|
|2018||Marie Nøkleby Hanssen||Hochschule für Musik, Theater, und Medien, Hannover|
|2019||Jirajet Thawornsiri||Yong Siew Toh Conservatory of Music|
|2020 Co-Winner||Nathaniel Chiu||Western Michigan University|
|2020 Co-Winner||Guangwei Fan||Curtis Institute of Music|
|2020 Co-Winner||Polina Tarasenko||Hochschule für Musik, Theater und Medien Hannover|
|2021||Polina Tarasenko||Hochschule für Musik, Theater und Medien, Hannover|
|2022||Diogo Cunha||Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts – Musik|