First Prize – 1632RGL-LT XO Trombone
- The 2018 ITA Competitions General Requirements must be strictly followed to avoid disqualification.
- Applicants must strictly follow the Recording Guidelines for the 2018 ITA Solo and Ensemble Competitions to avoid disqualification.
- Live piano accompaniment is required. No pre-recorded accompaniments are acceptable.
- The required repertoire should be submitted as a single video file, recorded from a single, uninterrupted camera angle. Accepted file formats include: MP4, MPEG, MPG, MOV, AVI, WMV, M4V, FLV, WEBM, M2V
- No editing of either video or audio is allowed. The two movements should be recorded as a single take.
- No written signs, nametags or other written material is to be visible in the video.
- Both performers should be clearly visible in the video throughout the performance, with the trombonist as the focal point.
- The submitted file must not contain any identifying information. The video file should be named: “SmithEntry.mov” (.mp4, etc.)
- Past winners of the Frank Smith Tenor Trombone Competition are not eligible to enter the 2018 Smith competition.
Preliminary Round Repertoire
- Nino Rota – Concerto, movements 2 and 3 (Ricordi)
Final Round Repertoire
- Enrique Crespo – Improvisation (Lydke)
2017Ricardo PedraresThe Juilliard School
|1975||John Vance||University of Northern Colorado|
|1976||Ken Crane||Berklee College of Music|
|1977||Stan Adams||University of Southern Illinois|
|1978||Don Lucas||Texas Tech University|
|1979||Chris Matten||University of Texas-Austin|
|1980||Paul Hunt||Youngstown State University|
|1981||Tom Ashworth||University of North Texas|
|1982||Susan K. Smith||University of North Texas|
|1983||Stephen B. Parsons||University of Kansas|
|1984||David Vining||Florida State University|
|1985||Mark R. Williams||University of Texas-Austin|
|1986||Steve Schoppert||McNeese State University|
|1987||Julie Josephson||New England Conservatory|
|1988||Jeff Knutson||Eastman School of Music|
|1991||Lynn Mostoller||Eastman School of Music|
|1993||James Fantz||University of Houston|
|1994||Jon Etterbeek||Juilliard School of Music|
|1995||Tricia Baran||Arizona State University|
|1996||Barry Hearn||University of Illinois|
|1997||Norbert Laczko||Franz Liszt Academy of Music, Budapest, Hungary|
|1998||Stephen Lange||Indiana University|
|1999||Nathan Zgonc||San Francisco Conservatory|
|2000||Jerry Hou||University of Minnesota|
|2001||Clifford Dale Moore II||Florida State University|
|2002||James Williams||Juilliard School of Music|
|2003||Robert Kozanek||Academy of Performing Arts, Prague|
|2004||Simeon Stoyanov||Central Michigan University|
|2005||Marques Young||Juilliard School of Music|
|2006||Quirijn van der Bijlaard||Rotterdam Conservatory|
|2007||Jeremy Wilson||University of North Texas|
|2008||Steve Menard||University of San Francisco|
|2009||Kyle Mullins||University of North Texas|
|2010||Christopher Wolf||Juilliard School of Music|
|2011||Li Kuang||Bowling Green State University|
|2012||Eric Bowman||Western Michigan University|
|2013||Josh Balleza||University of Texas at Austin|
|2014||Sebastiaan Kemner||Conservatorium van Amsterdam|
|2015||Joao Martinho||Universität der KüÌˆnste Berlin|
|2016||Paul Radke||Shepherd School of Music, Rice University|
|2017||Ricardo Pedrares||Juilliard School School of Music|