For trombonists ages 25 and under (birth date of January 1, 1997 or later)
First Prize – TBA
- The 2023 ITA Competitions General Requirements must be strictly followed to avoid disqualification.
- Applicants must strictly follow the Recording Guidelines for the 2023 ITA Solo and Ensemble Competitions to avoid disqualification.
- Live piano accompaniment is required. While live, in-person collaboration is still preferred, a pre-recorded piano accompaniment will be allowed for the 2023 competitions cycle in the event that restrictions due to the COVID-19 pandemic do not make a live performance possible.
- The required repertoire should be recorded as one complete, unedited take, and submitted as a single video file, recorded from a single, uninterrupted camera angle. Accepted file formats include: MP4, MPEG, MPG, MOV, AVI, WMV, M4V, FLV, WEBM, M2V
- No editing of either video or audio is allowed.
- No written signs, name tags or other written material is to be visible in the video.
- Both performers should be clearly visible in the video throughout the performance, with the trombonist as the focal point. In the event both performers do fit in the frame, due to social distancing or use of pre-recorded piano accompaniment, the trombonist must still be completely visible throughout the performance.
- The submitted file must not contain any identifying information. The video file should be named: “SmithEntry.mov” (.mp4, etc.)
- Past winners of the Frank Smith Tenor Trombone Competition are not eligible to enter the 2023 Smith competition.
- Co-Winners from the 2020 Frank Smith Competition are eligible to enter if still meeting age and other requirements.
Jiri Pauer – Trombonetta (Schott)
Brad Edwards – Three Calls (Hornbone Press)
|1975||John Vance||University of Northern Colorado|
|1976||Ken Crane||Berklee College of Music|
|1977||Stan Adams||University of Southern Illinois|
|1978||Don Lucas||Texas Tech University|
|1979||Chris Matten||University of Texas-Austin|
|1980||Paul Hunt||Youngstown State University|
|1981||Tom Ashworth||University of North Texas|
|1982||Susan K. Smith||University of North Texas|
|1983||Stephen B. Parsons||University of Kansas|
|1984||David Vining||Florida State University|
|1985||Mark R. Williams||University of Texas-Austin|
|1986||Steve Schoppert||McNeese State University|
|1987||Julie Josephson||New England Conservatory|
|1988||Jeff Knutson||Eastman School of Music|
|1991||Lynn Mostoller||Eastman School of Music|
|1993||James Fantz||University of Houston|
|1994||Jon Etterbeek||Juilliard School of Music|
|1995||Tricia Baran||Arizona State University|
|1996||Barry Hearn||University of Illinois|
|1997||Norbert Laczko||Franz Liszt Academy of Music, Budapest, Hungary|
|1998||Stephen Lange||Indiana University|
|1999||Nathan Zgonc||San Francisco Conservatory|
|2000||Jerry Hou||University of Minnesota|
|2001||Clifford Dale Moore II||Florida State University|
|2002||James Williams||Juilliard School of Music|
|2003||Robert Kozanek||Academy of Performing Arts, Prague|
|2004||Simeon Stoyanov||Central Michigan University|
|2005||Marques Young||Juilliard School of Music|
|2006||Quirijn van der Bijlaard||Rotterdam Conservatory|
|2007||Jeremy Wilson||University of North Texas|
|2008||Steve Menard||University of San Francisco|
|2009||Kyle Mullins||University of North Texas|
|2010||Christopher Wolf||Juilliard School of Music|
|2011||Li Kuang||Bowling Green State University|
|2012||Eric Bowman||Western Michigan University|
|2013||Josh Balleza||University of Texas at Austin|
|2014||Sebastiaan Kemner||Conservatorium van Amsterdam|
|2015||Joao Martinho||Universität der KüÌˆnste Berlin|
|2016||Paul Radke||Shepherd School of Music, Rice University|
|2017||Ricardo Pedrares||Juilliard School School of Music|
|2018||Tolga Akman||Hannover Hochschule fur Musik und Theater, Medien|
|2019||Evan Williams||University of Texas at Austin|
|2020 Co-Winner||Mustafa Khalilov||Conservatory Rayonnement Regional De Paris|
|2020 Co-Winner||Timothy Maines||Northwestern University|
|2020 Co-Winner||Jamey Morgan||Michigan State University|
|2021||Polina Tarasenko||Hochschule für Musik, Theater, und Medien, Hannover|
|2022||Tim Ouwejan||Conservatory of Amsterdam|