For trombonists ages 18 and under (birth date of January 1, 2003 or later)
First Prize – TBA
General Rules and Requirements
- The 2022 ITA Competitions General Rules and Requirements must be strictly followed to avoid disqualification.
- Applicants must strictly follow the Recording Guidelines for the 2022 ITA Solo and Ensemble Competitions.
- Live piano accompaniment is required. While live, in-person collaboration is still preferred, a pre-recorded piano accompaniment will be allowed for the 2022 competitions cycle in the event that restrictions due to the COVID-19 pandemic do not make a live performance possible.
- The required repertoire should be recorded as one complete, unedited take, and submitted as a single video file, recorded from a single, uninterrupted camera angle. Accepted file formats include: MP4, MPEG, MPG, MOV, AVI, WMV, M4V, FLV, WEBM, M2V
- No editing of either video or audio is allowed.
- No written signs, nametags or other written material is to be visible in the video.
- Both performers should be clearly visible in the video throughout the performance, with the trombonist as the focal point. In the event both performers do fit in the frame, due to social distancing or use of pre-recorded piano accompaniment, the trombonist must still be completely visible throughout the performance.
- The submitted file must not contain any identifying information. The video file should be named: “GagliardiEntry.mov” (.mp4, etc.)
- Past winners of the Gilberto Gagliardi Tenor Trombone Competition are not eligible to enter the 2022 Gagliardi competition.
- Co-Winners from the 2020 Gilberto Gagliardi competition are eligible to enter the 2022 Gagliardi Competition if still meeting age and other requirements.
Eugène Bozza – Hommage à Bach (Leduc)
Lauren Bernofsky – Two Latin Dances (Presser)
|2005||Christopher Guilfoyle||Curtis Institute of Music|
|2006||Isaac Washam||Oklahoma State University|
|2007||Hana Beloglavec||Kalamazoo Loy Norrix High School|
|2008||Malcolm Williamson||Eastman School of Music|
|2009||Christian Larsen||Horsens Statsskole, Aarhus, Denmark|
|2010||Derek Hawkes||Plano Senior High School, Plano, TX|
|2011||Juan Zuniga||Boston University|
|2012||Daniel O. Murphy||Oberlin Conservatory|
|2013||Dani Tellez Gutierrez||Hochschule fur Musik und Theater Rostock|
|2014||Brian Wendel||The Juilliard School|
|2015||Connor Rowe||Cabrillo High School|
|2016||Marie Nøkleby Hanssen||Hochschule für Musik, Theater und Medien, Hannover|
|2017||Pavlo Titiaiev||Karol Szymanowski Academy of Music (Poland)|
|2018||Christopher Houlihan||The Juilliard School|
|2019||Polina Tarasenko||Hochschule für Musik, Theater und Medien Hannover|
|2020 Co-Winner||Nathaniel Berry||Indiana University|
|2020 Co-Winner||Lukas Helsel||New England Conservatory|
|2020 Co-Winner||Zhitong Zhang||Central Conservatory of Music Middle School (Beijing)|
|2021||Tsz Yin (Alvin) Ho||University of Texas at Austin|
ITA Solo Competition Previous Winners
|1973||Jan Moeller||Boston, Massachusetts|
|1974||John Veselack||Illinois Wesleyan University|
|1975||Brad Bobcik||Millikin University|
|1976||Dave Foley||Harvard University|
|1977||Rock Ciccarone||Youngstown State University|
|1978||Stan Jeffs||Shoreline Community College|
|1979||Steve Witser||Eastman School of Music|
|1980||Jeff Budin||Northwestern University|
|1981||Randy Campora||Florida State University|
|1982||Doug Johnson||Michigan State University|
|1983||Michael J. Finton||University of Michigan|
|1984||John Dilutis||New England Conservatory|
|1985||Eric Johnson||Shenendohowa High School, New York|
|1986||Sara Smith||Catalina High School, Texas|
|1987||Brian K. McCommon||Brevard College|
|1988||Michael Allen||University of New Mexico|
|1989||Dan Mattson||Michigan State University|
|1991||Jonathan Rosenberg||Eastman School of Music|
|1993||Aaron Kadrmas||Interlochen Arts Academy, Michigan|
|1994||Joshua Richman||Milwaukee, Wisconsin|
|1995||Clifford Moore II||Florida State University|
|1996||Ryan Williams||Brigham Young University|
|1997||Bryan Aaron||Florida State University|
|1998||Jonathan Lombardo||Interlochen Arts Academy, Michigan|
|1999||Anthony Wise||Curtis Institute of Music|
|2000||Ward E. Stare||Juilliard School of Music|
|2001||Dan West||University of North Texas|
|2002||Benjamin Green||Juilliard School of Music|
|2003||Achilleas Liarmakopoulous||Rio Mesa High School, Camarillo, CA|
|2004||Joshua Bledsoe||Florida State University|