First Prize – Featured performance at the 2017 International Trombone Festival at the University of Redlands
- The 2017 ITA Competitions General Requirements must be strictly followed to avoid disqualification.
- Applicants must strictly follow the Recording Guidelines for the 2017 ITA Solo and Ensemble Competitions to avoid disqualification.
- The competition repertoire should be uploaded as single audio file, without any edits within each selection (single performance from start to end of each piece.) Accepted file formats include: MP3, OGG, M4A, WMA, WAV, AAC, FLAC, AIFF, AIF
- Individual selections may be recorded separately and then assembled into the single audio file.
- The submitted file must not contain any identifying information. The audio file should be named: “WindingEntry.mp3” (.wav, etc.)
- All improvised solos must be performed by regular members of the ensemble – no guest soloists are allowed.
- No age requirement or school affiliation required.
- The winning ensemble must utilize only the players who made the sound file recording in their ITF performance – no additional players or substitutions are allowed without the written approval of the Competitions Committee.
- Winning conductor has total control over the content of their ITF program (within time constraints.)
- 2013, 2014, 2015, or 2016 Winding Competition winners are not eligible for the 2017 Kai Winding Jazz Trombone Ensemble Competition.
Free choice of program, not to exceed 20 minutes
|1988||Paul Brewer’s Jazz Bones||University of Central Oklahoma|
|1990||University of North Florida Jazz Trombones||University of North Florida|
|1991||Capitol Bones||Washington, D.C.|
|1994||New York Trombone Conspiracy||New York City|
|1995||Slide FX||Los Angeles|
|1997||Eastman-Winding Trombone Septet||Eastman School of Music|
|1999||State of the Trombone||New York City|
|2000||University of North Texas Jazz Trombone Ensemble||University of North Texas|
|2001||University of Texas at Austin Jazz Bones||University of Texas|
|2002||Eastman Bionic Bones||Eastman School of Music|
|2003||Tennessee Trombonery||University of Tennessee|
|2004||Piedmont Trombone Society||Atlanta, GA|
|2005||Against the Grain||Berklee College of Music|
|2006||Dease Bones||Juilliard School of Music|
|2007||University of Texas Jazz Bones||University of Texas|
|2008||U-Tubes||University of North Texas|
|2009||Guildhall Jazz Trombone Ensemble||Guildhall School of Music and Drama, London|
|2010||Phoenix Jazz Trombones||Matt Lennex, leader|
|2011||Scarlet Knights Jazz Trombones||Rutgers University Conrad Herwig and Andy Hunter, leaders|
|2012||University of Illinois Jazz Trombone Ensemble||Jim Pugh, leader|
|2013||The University of Akron Trombone Group||John A. Schantz, leader|
|2014||MSU Jazz Trombones||Michael Dease, leader|
|2015||The U-Tubes (University of North Texas)||Julie Gray, leader|
|2016||The Waffle Stompers (The Juilliard School)||James Burton, III, teacher|