First Prize: Featured performance at the 2018 International Trombone Festival at the University of Iowa
General Rules and Requirements
- The 2018 ITA Competitions General Requirements must be strictly followed to avoid disqualification.
- Applicants must strictly follow the Recording Guidelines for the 2018 ITA Solo and Ensemble Competitions to avoid disqualification.
- The competition repertoire should be uploaded as two separate audio files (Gabrieli and Verhelst.) Accepted file formats include: MP3, OGG, M4A, WMA, WAV, AAC, FLAC, AIFF, AIF. Video entries are not accepted for this competition.
- There may be no editing within each submitted audio file.
- The submitted file must not contain any identifying information. The audio files should be named: “RemingtonGabrieli.mp3” and “RemingtonVerhelst.mp3” (.wav, etc.)
- Each work must be performed with a minimum of 8 trombonists. The same personnel may be used for both works, or a larger ensemble may be utilized for one of the submitted recordings. However, if different sized ensembles are utilized, all of the performers in the smaller ensemble must also play in the larger ensemble.
- No guest soloists are allowed.
- No age requirement or school affiliation required.
- The winning ensemble must utilize only the players who made the sound file recording in their ITF performance – no additional players or substitutions are allowed without the written approval of the Competitions Committee.
- Winning conductor has total control over the content of their ITF program (within time constraints.)
- 2014, 2015, 2016, or 2017 Remington Competition winners are not eligible for the 2018 Emory Remington Trombone Choir Competition.
- Giovanni Gabrieli – Sonata Pian ‘e Forte from Sacrae Symphoniae (1597), Ch.175, ed. Marcellus (KBE) *Please note: the tempo marking should read “quarter note = 72”, and ensembles should choose a tempo they feel is most appropriate
- Steven Verhelst – River Bells (available at https://www.stevenverhelst.com/product/the-rivers-bells-trombone-octet)
|1971||Ball State University Trombone Choir*||Bernard Pressler, conductor|
|1972||Catholic University Trombone Choir*||John Marcellus, conductor|
|1973||University of Oklahoma Trombone Choir*||Irvin Wagner, conductor|
|1974||Bob Jones University Trombone Choir*||Stan George, conductor|
|1975||Crane School of Music Trombone Ensemble*||John Upchurch, conductor|
|1976||Marcellus-Melick Trombone Ensemble*||John Marcellus & John Melick, conductors|
|1977||Bay Bones*||Billy Robinson, conductor|
|1978||Texas Tech University Trombone Ensemble*||Robert Deahl, conductor|
|1979||East Texas State University Trombone Choir*||Neill Humfeld, conductor|
|1980||Eastman School of Music Trombone Choir*||John Marcellus, conductor|
|1981||University of Oklahoma Trombone Choir*||Irvin Wagner, conductor|
|1982||Florida State University Trombone Choir*||William Cramer, conductor|
|1983||Ball State University Trombone Choir*||Wesley Hanson, conductor|
|1985||North Texas State University Trombone Choir*||Vern Kagarice & Royce Lumpkin, conductors|
|1986||Manhattan School of Music Trombone Ensemble*||Harold Janks, conductor|
|1987||Eastman School of Music Trombone Choir||John Marcellus & Raymond Premru, conductors|
|1988||University of Northern Colorado Trombone Choir||Buddy Baker, conductor|
|1990||Chicago Trombone Choir||Jay Friedman, conductor|
|1991||Eastman School of Music Trombone Choir||John Marcellus, conductor|
|1993||University of Illinois Trombone Choir||Elliot Chasanov, conductor|
|1994||University of North Texas Trombone Choir||Vern Kagarice, conductor|
|1995||University of Texas at Arlington Trombone Choir||Andy Russell, conductor|
|1996||Blech Forest Trombone Ensemble||Abbie Conant, conductor|
|1997||Texas Tech University Trombone Choir||Don Lucas, conductor|
|1998||Juilliard School of Music Trombone Ensemble||Joseph Alessi, conductor|
|1999||University of North Texas Trombone Choir||Vern Kagarice, conductor|
|2000||Trombonly||Heinz Fadle, conductor|
|2001||Eastman School of Music Trombone Choir||John Marcellus, conductor|
|2002||University of Texas Trombone Choir||Nathaniel Brickens, conductor|
|2003||Texas Trombone Octet||Jimmy Clark, conductor|
|2004||Texas Tech University Trombone Choir||Don Lucas, conductor|
|2005||Rotterdam Conservatory Trombone Choir||Pierre Volders, conductor|
|2006||Trombone Class Musikhochschule Hannover||Jonas Bylund, conductor|
|2007||University of Texas Trombone Choir||Nathaniel Brickens, conductor|
|2008||Oklahoma State University Trombone Octet||Paul Compton, conductor|
|2009||Codarts Trombone Ensemble, the Netherlands||Pierre Volders, JÃ¶rgen van Rijen, and Ben van Dijk, conductors|
|2010||UdK Trombone Choir, Berlin, Germany||Stefan Schulz, Andreas Klein and Rainer Vogt, conductors|
|2011||Eastman Trombone Choir||John Marcellus, conductor|
|2012||Hannover Trombone Class||Jonas Bylund, conductor|
|2013||Amsterdam Hogeschool voor de Kunsten Trombone Class||Pierre Volders, conductor|
|2014||Rostock Trombone Class, Germany||Jamie Williams, conductor|
|2015||Copenhagen Trombone Class (Royal Danish Academy of Music), Denmark||Jesper Juul, conductor|
|2016||Royal Northern College of Music Trombone Choir (UK)||Simon Cowen and Katy Jones, conductors|
|2017||Northwestern University Trombone Choir||Christopher Davis, conductor|