First Prize – Rath Jazz Trombone
- The 2018 ITA Competitions General Requirements must be strictly followed to avoid disqualification.
- Applicants must strictly follow the Recording Guidelines for the 2018 ITA Solo and Ensemble Competitions to avoid disqualification.
- Required repertoire should be uploaded as three separate video The video must be shot from a single, uninterrupted camera angle. Accepted file formats include: MP4, MPEG, MPG, MOV, AVI, WMV, M4V, FLV, WEBM, M2V
- No written signs, nametags or other written material is to be visible in the video.
- All performers should be continuously visible in the submitted video, with the trombonist as the focal point.
- No edits of either the audio or video may be made within each track.
- The submitted files must not contain any identifying information. The video file should be named: “JohnsonTrack1.mp4”, “JohnsonTrack2.mp4”, and “JohnsonTrack3.mp4” (.mov, etc.)
- An audible count-off is allowed for this competition, but any other spoken dialogue will violate the spoken dialogue rule and are grounds for disqualification. Caution members of the ensemble to avoid talking until the take has been completed. A good rule of thumb would be to hold silence for 5 seconds after any take, allowing for a clean submission.
- Recordings must be made with a live rhythm section (minimum 2 members) in the key of the entrant’s choice.
- Choruses must be improvised and not read.
- Entrants must perform exclusively on the slide trombone (e.g. no valve trombone, bass trumpet, etc.)
- It is the performer’s choice to play one or two choruses of the melody on each selection. The maximum number of choruses, including the melody, must not be exceeded.
- Recordings taken from a Jazz band performance are not allowed.
- Past winners of the JJ Johnson Jazz Trombone Competition are not eligible in the 2018 JJ Johnson competition.
Preliminary & Final Round Repertoire
- Six to eight (6-8) choruses of a Blues (including the melody) OR Four to Five (4-5) choruses of a “rhythm changes” tune (examples: “I’ve Got Rhythm”, “Oleo”, “Anthropology”)
- Four to six (4–6) choruses of any composition (except a blues) composed by J.J. Johnson (including the melody).
- Original Composition by the performer
*It is the performer’s choice to play one or two choruses of the melody on each selection. The maximum number of choruses, including the melody, must not be exceeded.
**Finalists will be required to present their final round program within a time limit and may deviate from the prescribed number of choruses required in the preliminary round recording.
|2005||Roland Barber||Manhattan School of Music|
|2006||Michael Dease||Juilliard School of Music|
ITA/Rath Previous Winners
|2007||Kevin Cerovich||University of Missouri-Kansas City|
J.J. Johnson Previous Winners
|2008||Joe McDonough||Temple University|
|2009||Robbie Harvey||Guildhall School of Music and Drama, London|
|2010||Nate Kimball||University of Nevada-Las Vegas graduate|
|2011||Adam Machaskee||Rutgers University|
|2012||Robinson Khoury||CNSMD Lyon, France|
|2013||Javier Nero||University of Miami|
|2014||Ido Meshulam||Berklee College of Music (alumnus)|
|2015||Stepan Janousek||Czech Republic (no school listed)|
|2016||Janning Trumann||New York University|
|2017||Brendan Lanighan||Eastman School of Music|