First Prize – $1,000 cash prize, donated by the International Trombone Association
- The 2017 ITA Competitions General Requirements must be strictly followed to avoid disqualification.
- Applicants must strictly follow the Recording Guidelines for the 2017 ITA Solo and Ensemble Competitions to avoid disqualification.
- The required repertoire should be submitted as a single video file, recorded from a single, uninterrupted camera angle. Accepted file formats include: MP4, MPEG, MPG, MOV, AVI, WMV, M4V, FLV, WEBM, M2V
- Each movement may be recorded separately, but there may be no editing within a movement. If movements are recorded separately, they must be combined into a single video file for submission. Software such as Quicktime Pro or iTunes can be used to quickly and easily combine video files. Movements should be recorded in the same location with the same recording setup
- The submitted file must not contain any identifying information. The video file should be named: “QuartetEntry.mp4” (.mov, etc.)
- No written signs, nametags or other written material is to be visible in the video.
- All four performers should be entirely and continuously visible in the submitted video throughout the performance.
- No quartet personnel changes for the final competition round are permitted under any circumstances. If a finalist group is unable to be present at the ITF, an alternate group may be selected. Presentation of a valid photo ID will be required of each performer immediately prior to the final competition.
- Members of past winning quartets are not eligible to participate in the 2017 ITA Trombone Quartet Competition
Preliminary Round Repertoire
- Fisher Tull – Concert Piece (ITA Press/Warwick Music)
Final Round Repertoire
- Eugene Bozza – Trois Pieces (Alphonse Leduc)Free Choice piece – 4 minutes or less in length
|2002||Cincinnati Conservatory Trombone Quartet||David Vining, coach|
|2003||Corpus Trombone Quartet, Ferenc Liszt Academy (Budapest)||Tividar Sztan, coach|
|2004||Novus Trombone Quartet||David Waters, coach|
|2005||CT3 Trombone Quartet (Northwestern University)||Royce London, coach|
|2006||Spitfire Trombone Quartet (Guildhall School of Music and Royal Academy of Music — London)|
|2007||UNT TF Trombone Quartet (University of North Texas)||Tony Baker, Jan Kagarice & Vern Kagarice, coaches|
|2008||Bell Street Four (University of North Texas)||Tony Baker, Jan Kagarice & Vern Kagarice, coaches|
|2009||Maniacal 4 Trombone Quartet (University of North Texas)||Jan Kagarice, coach|
|2010||Seretean Trombone Quartet (Oklahoma State University)||Paul Compton, coach|
|2011||Quattroforte Trombone Quartet (Liszt Academy of Music, Budapest, Hungary)|
|2012||SubitoBones, University of Texas, Austin||Charles Villarubia, Nathaniel Brickens, coaches|
|2013||Northside Quartet, Austin, TX||Charles Villarrubia, Nathaniel Brickens, coaches|
|2014||Thein Brothers Quartet, Amsterdam, The Netherlands||Ben van Dijk, coach|
|2015||Atlantic Trombone Quartet, Conservatorium van Amsterdam, The Netherlands||Pierre Volders, Remko de Jager, J&oumrgen van Rijen, Ben van Dijk, coaches|
|2016||Capriccio Trombone Quartet (Japan)||no school affiliation|