For trombonists ages 25 and under (birth date of January 1, 1997 or later)
First Prize – TBD
- The 2023 ITA Competitions General Requirements must be strictly followed to avoid disqualification.
- Applicants must strictly follow the Recording Guidelines for the 2023 ITA Solo and Ensemble Competitions to avoid disqualification.
- Live piano accompaniment is required. While live, in-person collaboration is still preferred, a pre-recorded piano accompaniment will be allowed for the 2023 competitions cycle in the event that restrictions due to the COVID-19 pandemic do not make a live performance possible.
- The required repertoire should be recorded as one complete, unedited take (no separate movements), and submitted as a single video file, recorded from a single, uninterrupted camera angle. Accepted file formats include: MP4, MPEG, MPG, MOV, AVI, WMV, M4V, FLV, WEBM, M2V
- No editing of either video or audio is allowed.
- No written signs, name tags or other written material is to be visible in the video.
- Both performers should be clearly visible in the video throughout the performance, with the trombonist as the focal point. In the event both performers do fit in the frame, due to social distancing or use of pre-recorded piano accompaniment, the trombonist must still be completely visible throughout the performance.
- The submitted file must not contain any identifying information. The video file should be named: “YaxleyEntry.mov” (.mp4, etc.)
- Past winners of the Donald Yaxley Bass Trombone Competition are not eligible to enter the 2023 Yaxley competition.
- Co-Winners from the 2020 Donald Yaxley Bass Trombone Competition are eligible to enter if still meeting age and other requirements.
Daniela Candillari – Extremely Close, movements 1 and 2 (Ensemble Publications)
Amy Mills – Catharsis, movements 2 and 3 (Amy Mills Music)
|1981||Paul Eachus||Indiana University|
|1982||John Wasson||University of North Texas|
|1983||Randy Campora||Florida State University|
|1984||Dan Satterwhite||University of North Texas|
|1985||Bruce Blomquist||University of Arizona|
|1986||Blair Bollinger||Curtis Institute of Music|
|1987||Harold Van Schaik||Eastman School of Music|
|1988||Matthew T. Guilford||New England Conservatory|
|1990||Robert Byrd||University of Southern Mississippi|
|1991||Robert Fournier||Indiana University|
|1993||Steven Brown||University of Illinois|
|1994||Darren McHenry||Juilliard School of Music|
|1995||Norbert Lazsko||Franz Liszt Academy of Music, Budapest, Hungary|
|1996||Matthias Dangelmaier||Trossingen Musik Hochschule, Germany|
|1997||Michael McLemore||University of Texas-Austin|
|1998||J. Donald Crafton||Catholic University|
|1999||Joshua Brown||University of North Texas|
|2000||Jeffrey A. Gray||Juilliard School of Music|
|2001||Jussi Vuorinen||Sibelius Academy of Music, Helsinki, Finland|
|2002||Dan West||University of North Texas|
|2003||Zachary Bond||Curtis Institute of Music|
|2004||Michael Brown||University of Michigan|
|2005||Charles Reneau||Juilliard School of Music|
|2006||Matyas Veer||Liszt Academy of Music-Budapest|
|2007||Graeme Mutchler||Juilliard School of Music|
|2008||Daniel Brady||Southern Methodist University|
|2009||Nozomi Kasano Flatt||New England Conservatory of Music|
|2010||Craig Flentge||University of North Texas|
|2011||Christopher Hernacki||University of Michigan|
|2012||Mateusz Sczendzina||Hochschule für Musik, Hannover, Germany|
|2013||Rommert Groenhof||Amsterdam Hogeschool voor de Kunsten, the Netherlands|
|2014||Scott P. Hartman||DePaul University|
|2015||Marijn Migchielsen||Codarts Rotterdam|
|2016||Adib Correa Vera||no school affiliation|
|2017||Derek Mitchell||University of Michigan|
|2018||Cameron Owen||New England Conservatory|
|2019||Adrian Gryciuk||Conservatorium van Amsterdam|
|2020 Co-Winner||Eden Garza||University of Texas at Austin|
|2020 Co-Winner||Gabriel Boezi Gjerpe||Norwegian Academy of Music|
|2020 Co-Winner||Dávid Sztranyák||Liszt Academy of Music-Budapest|
|2021||Ivan Cheung||The Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts|
|2022||Diogo Silva||Escola Superior de Música e Artes do Espetáculo (Portugal)|