Brent Phillips, professor of trombone at Baylor University, is seeking a talented and capable candidate to serve as Graduate Associate for the trombone studio. This position is available to students pursuing a Masters Degree in Trombone Performance, tenor trombone only.
- Performing in the major ensembles of the School of Music as needed
- Performing in the Graduate or Honors Brass Quintet
- Assisting with the Trombone Methods Course (Spring) and Studio Classes
- Assisting with the Baylor Trombone Choir, Eighth Position and Bearbones Trombone Quartet
- Assisting in logistics and matters related to the overall function and well-being of the Trombone Studio
- Assisting with management of the Brass Library
- Teaching lessons to secondary or non-majors as needed and majors on an infrequent basis
- Teaching Low Brass Methods (Trombone Section) – Spring 2024
- Organizational tasks and logistics related to Baylor Trombone Day 2023
- Website updates, promotion and design
- Social media posts/promotion
- Research related projects as assigned by Mr. Phillips (orchestral excerpt materials, music production, editing, arranging, scholarly research as it relates to future publication and or scholarly creative performance)
This assistantship provides:
- The full-time graduate assistantship tuition waiver covers all 30 hours of the degree with no fees.
- The stipend is awarded over eight months is exactly $7,000
- Assistantships are renewable for a second year. Partial assistantships may be offered.
- $300 per semester for travel to professional presentations or master classes/festivals if chosen via competitive selection.
- The degree plan usually affords the opportunity for an “Independent Study” in a specific area of study/interest (bass trumpet, orchestral section playing, audition circuit training)
- The assistantship is renewable based on the evidence of significant forward musical progress.
The GA candidate will also have the opportunity to serve as second trombone in the Waco Symphony Orchestra pending the approval of Mr. Phillips, the music director and union membership.
For further information and to begin the audition pre-screening process, please visit the following link: https://www.baylortrombones.com/graduate-student-audition-information.html
If you have further questions or are interested in the graduate associate position, please contact Brent Phillips, Professor of Trombone at Baylor University.