The Nineteenth Annual Big 12 Area Trombone Conference was held January 14th – 16th at Texas Tech University. The Conference’s Featured Guest Artist was world renowned classical trombonist, composer and arranger Christopher Bill.
Mr. Bill’s feature performance and master class were both amazing and inspiring. The performance was free spirited, creative, and joyous. The master class had Mr. Bill showcase his creativity, explain his creative process, and answer the intuitive questions regarding his equipment, musical philosophies, and concepts. His newly created compositions and engaging conversations made both sessions very special.
Additional highlights included the Big 12/Houghton Horns Tenor Trombone Solo Competition, the Big 12 Bass Trombone Solo Competition, an exciting faculty showcase recital, great choir performances and many inspiring clinics and presentations.
The Solo Competitions finals featured fine student musicians from Baylor University, Missouri State University, The University of Central Arkansas, University of Denver, and Texas A&M University at Kingsville. After prolonged deliberations from our adjudication panel, the winners were:
- Big 12 Bass Trombone Solo Competition: Paden Sharp, University of Central Arkansas
- Big 12/Houghton Horns Tenor Trombone Solo Competition: Christopher Terrazas, University of Denver.
Congratulations to all finalists and their professors!
In addition to the solo competition finals, featured performers and clinicians included:
- Dr. Allan Kaplan of New Mexico State University
- Dr. William Haugeberg of the University of Texas-Rio Grande Valley
- Dr. Lucas Kaspar of Cameron University
- Dr. Tyrone Block of Southwestern Assemblies of God University
- Dr. Jason Hausback of Missouri State University
- Dr. Gilles Bernard of New Jersey City University
- William Rose of McNeese State University
- Dr. Douglas Mark of Delta State University
- David Jackson of the University of Michigan
- Dr. Timothy Howe of the University of Missouri
- Charles West from Florida State University
Attendees were enthused by the performances and presentations by these well renowned educators.
Great ensemble playing took place during the conference, including performances by:
- University of Missouri Trombone Ensemble, directed by Dr. Timothy Howe
- University of Denver Graduate Trombone Quartet, coached by Richard Harris
- ‘Tyrone’s Bones’ from the Southwestern Assemblies of God University, led by Dr. Tyrone Bloc
In addition, host Texas Tech University had their trombone quartet and choir perform during the conference.
Overall, the conference was a stirring assembly of fine students, performers, and educators. Many thanks to all who attended, presented, and performed so well, and our principal sponsors: Greg Black Mouthpieces, Conn-Selmer Corporation, Houghton Horns, Tarpley Music Company, the United States Marines and Iota Tau Alpha, the Trombone Service Fraternity of Texas Tech University.
Next year’s conference is scheduled for January 13th – 15th, 2023. More details will be forthcoming. Please visit our website, www.big12tromboneconference.com, for updates.