Washburn University’s Department of Music invites applications for the position of Assistant Director of Bands and Applied Low Brass. The position will begin August 1, 2022. This position is a nine-month appointment as Lecturer. This is a non-tenure track appointment with a possibility of renewal.
- Master’s degree in music.
- Experience in instrumental ensemble conducting.
- Experience with directing university athletic bands.
- Experience teaching at the collegiate level.
- Demonstrated commitment to developing inclusive teaching practices that engage students from diverse backgrounds.
- Doctorate degree in music.
- Experience designing and writing drills using Pyware.
- Experience teaching applied trombone/Euphonium at the college level.
- Experience with organizing and developing youth programs.
- Experience recruiting and maintaining an applied studio at the collegiate level.
- Experience performing in multiple musical styles and traditions, including contemporary music and other popular idioms.
- Fulfill teaching expectations associated with a lecturer appointment. Teach 12-hours per semester (either in-person or online) or a full workload as outlined in the faculty handbook. Teach and develop courses consistent with candidate’s training and interests for majors and non-majors as assigned and dependent upon the successful applicant’s qualifications and department needs. These needs include teaching applied Trombone/Euphonium.
- Serve as the Assistant Director of Bands for all aspects of a comprehensive band program. We are an NCAA Division II institution with two concert bands, marching band, and basketball bands.
- Recruitment and retention of music students.
- Maintain a public profile as a teacher and performer.
- Contribute to the life of the department and university through service. Service expectations include membership in the WU Faculty Brass Quintet.
Application review will begin on April 15, 2022, and continue until the position is filed.
If you have any questions about the position, please email Dr. Tom Seddon, Director of Bands, email@example.com.
Please visit Washburn University’s website for further information about the position.